[Rhodes22-list] Posting resume?

Paul Grandholm paul@mi.chtechnology.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:58:56 -0400

Michael,

     Hofstra?  Isn't that very highly rated academically?  Very
impressive!

Paul

>well lets find out :-) worst come to worst maybe some will find a typeo or=
 a rewrite, My mother seen it and the current job knows.

>MJM
>

>      MICHAEL J. MELTZER  =

>      E-mail:
>     mjm@michaelmeltzer.com =

>     Phone:
>     203-226-0622
>      =

>     8 Beechwood Lane =

>     =

>       =

>      =

>     Cell:
>     203-856-9746
>      =

>     Westport, CT 06880
>     =

> =

>SUMMARY
> =

> =

>A distinguished senior-level Information Technology manager, lead=
 developer, team leader and hands-on programmer who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly changing and challenging environment.  Enthusiastic computer professional with 17 years experience. Specialized in writing real-time market data systems and real-time automated market execution systems.  Holistic approach with cross discipline expertise. Skills that encompass the complete trading system. In-depth market knowledge of equities, options and futures, an understanding of how they trade and how traders/quants trade them. Extremely effective at explaining technical issues to people ranging from junior administrators to members of the Board. Knowledgeable at explaining business issues to technical team members.

> =

>TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
> =

>Languages: C, ANSI C, C++, Perl, Java, HTML, SQL, PHP, Visual Basic,=
 Crystal Reports and x86 Assembler. Interfaced to Basic, Fortran, APL, Cobol, and TAL.
>Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Object Orientated, Multithreading,=
 Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor, Sockets, RPC, Real-time, Network Programming, High Availability, Non-stop/failover, Clustering, 24/7

>O/S's Programming and Administration: UNIX, Solaris (Sparc), FreeBSD,=
 Linux (Redhat) and NT Windows 2000.
>Protocols programmed: TCP/IP, UDP/IP, NetBios, IPX, X25, HDLC, Async and=
 Sync.

>Databases: Oracle, MySQL.
>Market API's: CMS, NQDS, NASDAQ Level 1, TLW, Lava Trading, Bear Stearns=
 ETS, S&P Comstock, TrackData, FIX, Routers 2000, IBES and Zacks.
>Hardware: Sun servers and desktops, Intel servers and desktops, Ascends,=
 Cisco's switches and routers, firewalls, wireless, 802.11, dialogic voice/telephone, Radware Linkproof and all of the minor devices.

>Standard Tools: gcc, g++, gdb, ld, emacs, make, gprof, trace, truss, etc.
>
> =

>SELECTED ATTRIBUTES
>
> =

>Strategic Development - Key participant in conceiving and establishing new=
 ideas, leading the development from conception through technology to becoming a core business.

> =

>  a.. Significant experience in finding and solving business, management=
 and technical problems.
>  b.. Wide industry knowledge and fast learner who is innovative, creative=
 and disciplined.
>  c.. Designer of tested, reliable, well thought-out, maintainable, fault=
 tolerant systems.
>  d.. Can find the simple aimed at the complex.
> =

>Software Engineering - Senior software engineer specializing in financial=
 services since 1985. Responsibilities are for all aspects of software development as well as recruiting, training and supervising of junior employees.

> =

>  a.. Superior lead code writer on most projects.
>  b.. Reliability, quality control and system stability is mandatory;=
 million of dollars are depending on my code and I truly understand the responsibility it entails.
>  c.. Trained junior employees to advance to senior roles with several=
 very successful transitions.
> =

>Project Management - Highly skilled in managing existing and start-up=
 operations, utilizing in-house resources and outsourced services.

> =

>  a.. Experienced in improving both efficiency and morale.
>  b.. Managing budgets and timely meeting of objectives.
>  c.. Forward thinker with experience in heading off and preventing=
 problems.
>  d.. Experienced with budgeting, cost modeling at project and department=
 levels.
>  e.. Coordinate and implement minor and major projects at all levels.
> =

>System Administration - The system administrations are so integral to=
 overall system performance and reliability that I have become an expert administrator.

> =

>  a.. Effective and stable when emergencies do arise.
>  b.. Expert level administration on: Solaris, FreeBSD and Linux. Major=
 packages Apache (and most of the modules), DNS (bind and djbdns), email (sendmail and postfix), ssh, ipf, nat, tcp/udp/ip, ntp, ftp, dhcp, pop3, nfs, smb, rip, rip2, rsync, network printing, bzip, gzip, tar, backup and dump. Most of the minor ones.
>  c.. NT/Windows 2000: Install set-up, networking, remote connectivity and=
 application support.
>  d.. Activities: system configurations, systems tuning, load balancing,=
 storage networking, security set-ups, offsite transfers, firewall, LAN, WAN and internet set-ups.
>  e.. Contractor issues: HVAC, electrical power, UPS's, LAN wiring, racks=
 and buildout.
> =

>PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
> =

>Director of Computer Operations (sole programmer), The Centurion Group, LP=
 New York, NY   (2002 - Present and 1997- 2000).

> =

>Designed and wrote the "quotation" system interface using a client/server=
 method, Track Data as a vendor. Designed and wrote the executions system using Bear Stearns ETS. Added S&P Comstock raw feed server for a backup to the quotation system. Maintained daily tick-by-tick databases. Added Zacks and IBES for fundamental data. Administered several generations of hardware and networks built for real-time data. Responsible for all build-out of computer resources. Provisioned services and administrated the Sun Solaris systems. Time Allocations: Design/Programming 70%, System Administration %20, Project Management 10%. Languages: C/C++, Perl, Java, HTML, SQL, PHP. Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Object Orientated, Multithreading, Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor Sockets, TCP/IP, RPC, Real-time, High Availability, Non-stop/failover.

> =

>Chief Technology Officer (Lead/Senior Programmer, a small shop, big=
 title), Mantle Group, L.L.C. New York, NY   (2000 to 2002).

> =

>My mission was to take a quant PHD from idea to market. Mantle acted like=
 a NASDAQ day trading shop using an automated "black box" trading system. Completed build-out of infrastructure (furniture, wiring, power, HVAC etc.). Ticker plants using S&P Comstock raw feed, NASDAQ raw feed and LavaTrading data semi raw feed. Custom Executions systems using TLW, Lava trading and Brass. Custom built front-end systems taking buy/sell signals and working the order in the market. Other pieces: trading screens, real-time P&L, real-time statistics, fail-over, risk control systems, reports and reconciliation.  Built, tested and into the market on time.  Managed and built the most critical systems.  Time Allocations: Design/Programming 80%, System Administration %5, Project Management 15%. Languages: C/C++, Perl, HTML, SQL, PHP, Visual Basic. Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Object Orientated, Multithreading, Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor, Sockets, TCP/IP, RPC, Real-time, High Availability, Non-stop/failover, Clustering.

> =

>Incubator: Yo.com, New York, NY (1999-2000).
>
> =

>Internet startup. It's concept was to use collaborative filtering software=
 from Net Perceptions on a ASP model, to provide expertise and share in the uplift of sales. My role was to assist the firm from seed funding through first level funding. Duties: Designer/System Administrator for UNIX, a clustered environment, Oracle Administrator, Database/Application Designer, Designer/Network Administrator, hosting center selection build-out, programmer, investor technical relations, client technical relations and dozen of other things a startup needs. Left the firm after they got their first level funding. Time Allocations: Design/Programming 50%, System Administration %30, Project Management 20%. Languages: C/C++, Perl, HTML, SQL, PHP, Crystal Reports. Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Object Orientated, Multithreading, Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor, Sockets, TCP/IP, RPC, Real-time, Network Programming, High Availability, Non-stop/failover, Clustering, 24/7.

> =

> =

>Director of Computer Operations (sole programmer), The Centurion Group, LP=
 New York, NY

>(2002 - Present and 1997- 2000).
>
>See above.
>
> =

>Vice President of System Development (Lead/Senior Programmer), The Weston=
 Group, Greenwich, CT   (1994 to 1996).

> =

>The Weston Group was a six-member hedge fund. My duties were the design,=
 implementation and oversight for all production computer systems for the "black box" trading of a 200,000,000 dollars portfolio. Major systems designed and implemented: high speed quotation server, real-time analytic server, options evaluation, real-time portfolio risk control system, real-time trading screens, electronic order execution system (DOT), joint back offices interfaces, production monitoring system, database server and overnight processing. Managed and built the most critical systems.  Time Allocations: Design/Programming 85%, System Administration %5, Project Management 10%. Languages: C/C++, Fortran, AWK, sed, sh. Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Object Orientated, Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor, Sockets, TCP/IP, RPC, Real-time, High Availability, Non-stop/failover.

> =

> =

>Executive Vice President (Lead/Senior Programmer), Xela Trading Associates=
 New York, NY (1992 to 1994).

> =

>Xela was a startup company formed to be a hedge fund. My role was to take=
 the analytic into the market. Designed, implemented and oversaw a complete "black box" trading system. Ticker plants using Track Data, execution system using Bear Stearns ETS. Full "Soup to Nuts" system of: trading screens, real-time P&L, real-time statistics, fail-over, risk control systems, reports and reconciliation. Time Allocations: Design/Programming 85%, System Administration %5, Project Management 10%. Languages: C/C++, Basic, AWK, sed, sh. Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Object Orientated, Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor, Sockets, TCP/IP, RPC, Real-time, High Availability, Non-stop/failover.

> =

> =

>Director of New Technology Development (Programmer for new projects),=
 Track Data Corp., Brooklyn, NY   (1988 to 1992).

> =

>Track Data is a worldwide-consolidated ticker provider. My first project=
 with Track Data was to design and implement TrackMux, a low cost communications multiplexer used to provide fault tolerant communications to 3000 clients. The TrackMux software is run on an IBM/PC with up to four 80186 programmable co-process communications cards, TrackMux provides dual line HDLC/SYNC backbone, 30 ports 38.4kb ASYNC, TCP/IP, NETBIOS/IPX, automatic failure detection, failure reporting and remote reconfiguration, A forerunner of today's network hardware. Integrated TrackMux protocols with Track/MX product and Track's DG host computers. Oversaw Track's move from ASYNC to LAN based client wiring. Ported TrackData MX product from DOS to UNIX on SUN/next/DG-Avion (about 500,000 lines of code, with 30,000 lines additional needed for the GUI and system calls). Designed and implemented TrackData API real-time client information retrieval system. Integrated a portable demonstration system for sales. Technical sales support/client side troubleshooting. Supervised Track Data UNIX department.  Awards earned: Employee of the month 3 times and Employee of the year once. Time Allocations: Design/Programming 90%, System Administration %5, Project Management 5%. Languages: C, Basic, AWK, sed, sh. Techniques: Client/server, IPC, Multiprocessing, Multiprocessor, Sockets, TCP/IP, RPC, Real-time, High Availability, Non-stop/failover.

> =

> =

>Systems Programmer, Kidder Peabody & Company, New York, NY   (1995 - 1988).
>
> =

>Kidder Peabody was one of the top tier brokerage firms on Wall Street.
>
>Proprietary trading, analytic and equity trading floor hired as a Systems=
 Programmer.

>Responsible for "black box" computerized equity trading using the firm's=
 capital. Brought in to program a high-speed quote retrieval system to permit the computerized traders (SUN based) access to real-time market information. Other projects: SUN to DEC/VAX interfaces for historical and fundamental databases, managed tick-by-tick databases, assisted in the market execution system, system administrator for the Suns, hardware purchasing and day to day activities to keep traders in the market.

> =

>Brokerware Division trained as a Tandem System Programmer.
>
>Brokerware was a retail broker support group providing research and=
 development in computer services for Kidder Peabody & Company. My duties were to take a Tandem sponsored internal operating system programming course and become the junior system programmer for the division. Projects accomplished: Optimized universal terminal support language and drivers, Tandem to IBM mainframe 3270/CICS terminal interface, Tandem to IBM mainframe RJE interface, brokerage Database's in COBOL, real-time market data into the Tandem.

> =

>EDUCATION
>
> =

>1985 - Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York =

>Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.
>
>Minor in Business Computer Systems and Minor in Finance, Banking and=
 Investment.

> =

>REFERENCES
>
> =

>Available upon request                                 =

Paul Grandholm
C&H Technology
GrandPower Components Div.