[Rhodes22-list] The Ship

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:41:07 -0500

I just finished watching the History Channel's broadcast of "The Ship."
This was a sort of "Reality TV" special on the recreation of Capt. Cook's
voyage from Australia to Indonesia.  They sailed on a replica of Cook's
ship,  named The Endeavor, where they sailed the same route as Cap'n Cook.
They tried to recreate the eightieth century voyage of Cook, including
eightieth century navigation, methods, food, sketchy charts, etc.

They had 15 professional crew and 40 amateurs and sailed from Australia to
Bali and the trip took about a month and a half.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of how the many amateurs coped with the
rigors of the eightieth century, square rigger voyage.

Did anyone else watch this?  I love the tall ships and was glued to these
episodes.

Slim
S/V Fandango