[Rhodes22-list] Yamaha Outboard Motor Purchase

David Walker david.walker5@attbi.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:21:01 -0500

Dan,

I have the Yamaha 9.9 HT for two years and have been very happy with it.
Its a little heavier and the 6:1 lift is a little work to get up.  If I'm
sailing alone I will tend to leave it down as I have to stand on the rear
bench to get over the lift to pull up.

I run the gas line and cables though a "gas boot" covering a hole drilled in
the transom on the outboard side of the mount.  My primary gas tanl is under
the the port side bench, the backup on the starboard side.  Contrary to
popular wisdom I have never used hold downs on the tanks so they are easy to
swap.  I've never had one slide on me even at max heel.

My starting battery is in the lazeratte, in a battery box clamped down to a
piece of marine palywood glassed to the hull bottom on centerline.  I have
this battery connected to my house battery through a West Marine battery
combiner (not  an isolator) so that the Outboatd will charge both batteries
as will the plug in charger, but they will separated when discharging.  Its
worked well this season.

Dave Walker
S/V Windswept