[Rhodes22-list] Antifreeze alternative question

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:50:46 -0500

I have a question, and haven't been able to locate an answer on the net...

I've been concerned about my ability to thoroughly rinse the antifreeze out
of my freshwater system in the spring.  I know it isn't toxic in the
ultradiluted state, but I can never seem to completely rid the system of the
aftertaste, and it CAN'T be good for you.  (Cancer worries in 40 years,
anyone?)

So.. I'm looking for alternatives. Both for the boat and the camper.
I've heard of using a gallon of cheap vodka (or other high powered spirits)
to winterize the system.  I know that it works, and makes springtime chores
more interesting.  My question is will the alcohol deteriorate any of the
plastic or rubber hoses, seals, or fittings?

I drained the system in my camper and blew out the hoses with compressed
air. However, I can't completely empty the pump and some other fittings.
There is always the fear that there is a low spot where water pools, such as
the water inlet hose.

Thanks for the input,

--Doug Gardner
s/v Fretnaught