[Rhodes22-list] Antifreeze alternative question

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:39:18 -0600

Hey Doug,

Yup, we have the same trouble with the travel trailer we stay in, at the
race track, in the summer. If you are using the pink stuff, RV antifreeze,
it's not supposed to hurt you. I agree though, it tastes like s#!t. I have
not been able to cure this, although, being careful not to get any in the
tank helps. I wonder too, if some of the bad taste of this water is not just
due to the water picking up the taste of the plastic in the tank and lines.
Our water never tastes, what you would call "good", even after our tank has
been refilled many times. Don't think you could blame this on not being
rinsed out enough.

Vodka seems like a reasonable alternative for this. Probably not a whole lot
more expensive than the antifreeze, and certainly has more "entertainment"
value. :-) Perhaps, when it is time to flush out in the spring, you could
use orange juice. The acid in the orange juice would clean the lines and the
resulting mixture at the tap would be cause for an annual celebration. :-)
:-) Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds reasonable. :-)

Rik