[Rhodes22-list] slip space, motors, and other stuff

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:52:51 -0800 (PST)

WooWhooo!  Pickwick Dam State Park Marina called and I
got a slip space, just in time for Winter.  It does
have electricity though so I can keep the new Honda
generator at home except for the extra long trips.

Motor question:  Many of you are going to the Yamaha
9.9.  Do you feel you need the extra HP or the
alternator?  According to the website
www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html (contains R-22
data as well) my 4.5 2-cycle should push the boat at
5.4 knots vs. 6.8 for the Yamaha 9.9.  Doesn't seem
like much gain for the weight and expense.  Ideas?

I've chosen to stay out of the political discussion
but can't help but make at least this observation.  We
experimented with outlawing alcohol and it didn't
work.  More alcohol was made and consumed during
prohibition than any other time and much of the
business was controlled by criminals.  We have laws
against illicit drug use and distribution and yet they
are used and sold.  Murder is illegal in every state
yet it continues by a variety of means.  Laws against
gun ownership will not eliminate guns, the gun trade
will only go underground and be controlled by
criminals (remember, supply and demand). There are
plenty of gun free countries.  My wife and I keep an
apartment in Beijing and I do enjoy our time in China
knowing I won't be shot by private citizens (I keep my
nose clean around the soldiers) like happens so often
here in Memphis.
We don't waste a lot of time talking politics there
either.  If they are at all engaged we know what party
they belong to.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"