[Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

J Cook rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:46:49 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C254E2.AF149920

Rummy,

Good to know the cockpit drains out fast.  I won't bother with a cockpit =
bilge pump.  =20

Was the boat over long enough to take in all the water she was going to t=
ake?  =20

Care to guess if much water would have entered the cabin had it been clos=
ed up?  =20

It's really good to hear you were able to get right back up with no harm =
done

----- Original Message -----
From: R22RumRunner@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 1:49 PM
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

Joseph,
First, let me state that after extensive discussions with Mr. Spritzer, w=
hat happened to me was not considered a knockdown. The boats reputation o=
f not being able to capsize is intact. I think Stan classifies it as real=
ly stupid sailor error enhanced with alcohol. Now remember, before you st=
art laughing to hard, I wasn't at the helm.
We had water in the cockpit which as soon as the boat righted itself (onc=
e the sails were turned loose) drained quickly all by itself. We ended up=
 with about fifty gallons of water (just a guess) in the cabin (bilge) ar=
ea which we quickly pumped out by hooking up the wash down pump hose to i=
t a sucked it dry. Water was pouring in over the electronics, the VHF, st=
ereo and percent of charge meter.
The CD player (mounted in a watertight gimbal mount) continued to play wi=
thout missing a beat, the VHF is a sealed waterproof model and the percen=
t of charge meter worked the next day after allowing water to drain out o=
f it completely. So yes, I'm going to be installing a bilge pump, but onl=
y in the cabin bilge.
There was little water in the lazzerette ( a spongeful at most ) and the =
gas tank was fine....no hazmat teams were required. The outboard started =
first pull.......thank God for the Tohatsu.
The cockpit drain is approximately a one inch hole which is sufficient fo=
r draining. I think adding a cockpit bilge pump wouldn't make much sense.

Rummy =20

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C254E2.AF149920

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Rummy,</DIV> <=
DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Good to know the cockpit drains out fast.&nbsp; I w=
on't bother with a cockpit bilge pump.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V>Was the boat over long enough to take in all the water she was going to=
 take?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Care to guess if much water wo=
uld have entered the cabin had it been closed up?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp=
;</DIV> <DIV>It's really good to hear you were able to get right back up =
with no harm done</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</=
DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIG=
HT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px so=
lid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original M=
essage -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; C=
OLOR: black"><B>From:</B> R22RumRunner@aol.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: =
10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, September 03, 2002 1:49 PM</DIV> <DIV s=
tyle=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org</DIV> <DI=
V style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Rhodes22-list] bilge pu=
mp</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 fac=
e=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">Joseph,<BR>First, let me state th=
at after extensive discussions with Mr. Spritzer, what happened to me was=
 not considered a knockdown. The boats reputation of not being able to ca=
psize is intact. I think Stan classifies it as really stupid sailor error=
 enhanced with alcohol. Now remember, before you start laughing to hard, =
I wasn't at the helm.<BR>We had water in the cockpit which as soon as the=
 boat righted itself (once the sails were turned loose) drained quickly a=
ll by itself. We ended up with about fifty gallons of water (just a guess=
) in the cabin (bilge) area which we quickly pumped out by hooking up the=
 wash down pump hose to it a sucked it dry. Water was pouring in over the=
 electronics, the VHF, stereo and percent of charge meter.<BR>The CD play=
er (mounted in a watertight gimbal mount) continued to play without missi=
ng a beat, the VHF is a sealed waterproof model and the percent of charge=
 meter worked the next day after allowing water to drain out of it comple=
tely. So yes, I'm going to be installing a bilge pump, but only in the ca=
bin bilge.<BR>There was little water in the lazzerette ( a spongeful at m=
ost ) and the gas tank was fine....no hazmat teams were required. The out=
board started first pull.......thank God for the Tohatsu.<BR>The cockpit =
drain is approximately a one inch hole which is sufficient for draining. =
I think adding a cockpit bilge pump wouldn't make much sense.<BR><BR>Rumm=
y</FONT> </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C254E2.AF149920--