[Rhodes22-list] Sailing To The Bahamas In The Hurricane Season

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:14:11 -0400

Richard,

I don't know what your sailing background is, but hear me.  Never, ever put
my name to your personal opinion again, is that clear?

I don't care if you do have a degree in Metrology.  I'll stack my own
education & personal experience in sailing & dealing with weather up against
it any day.  Don't you pay any attention to the Weather Channel?  When was
the last time there was any sort of tropical storm in the southern Atlantic
that wasn't tracked from the moment of its creation right thru to its last
gasp?  There is sufficient information readily available to anyone who pays
even minimal attention to keep a running log on every storm's current
position, strength, & predicted track.

Sailing vessels make hundreds of voyages throughout the Caribbean during
hurricane season.  The sailing season does not simply shut down.  No, it's
idiot proof.  But, I said up front that this trip was not something a
beginner should attempt.  I stand by my opinion re sailing in the Caribbean
during the hurricane season & I frankly resent attempts by so called
"experts", such as yourself, to make life so safe & so idiot proof that you
can't possibly screw up.  Kindly mind your own business or at least stay out
of mine!  If I get caught out in bad weather then I'll deal with it & if I
die trying then at least I died doing something I love doing.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium