[Rhodes22-list] Sailing To The Bahamas In The Hurricane Season

Christine Allison rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:56:57 -0400

> You know, I don't like blanket statements like that.  If one goes by that
> warning, then about 1/3 of the year is off limits.>

As a matter of fact that statement is 100% correct.

I have a degree in metrology and I can speak with some authority on the
subject of weather prognostication.

At this time of year a tropical depression can develop anywhere south of
Savannah with amazing speed. Believe me, even a small tropical depression
would put a Rhodes in a very dangerous situation.   Yes we have satellite
observations and numerical models that are amazingly accurate. But, the
number of variables and the chance factors in play are so great that it will
NEVER be possible to predict the weather with 100% accuracy.   To risk it in
a costal cruising boat like the Rhodes with a blue water passage in
dangerous waters in the hurricane season is pushing the envelop a bit to
much for my taste..

The Gulf Stream is a notoriously dangerous place for any small boat.
Personally I would avoid chancing it.

Obviously your mileage will vary.

Richard Smith