[Rhodes22-list] Wire ties.

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:10:30 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C2578C.ECFC7080

Rummy,

As noted above, the way I use the plastic ties they are not exposed to =
sunlight.  It is considerably warmer where you live than where I live, =
so maybe there is a heat problem that I have not experienced. =20

Because this is a critical function, and I had never heard of anyone =
doing it, I initially checked the cable tie cotter pins very frequently. =
 I would carefully cut open the rigging tape and visually inspect the =
plastic.  Because there was never any sign of wear I did not trust my =
observation, so I would destructively inspect the cable tie, cutting it =
off.  Every one was soft, none was brittle, not one had so much as a =
nick in the plastic.

They are so easy to replace, and I have so many, that I now change them =
every time I set up the boat.  I inspect every one.  Never had a single =
problem.

Bill Effros

----- Original Message -----=20
From: R22RumRunner@aol.com=20
To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org=20
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 9:47 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Wire ties.

>From past experience, I would not use nor recommend using plastic wire =
ties. They become extremely brittle from exposure to heat and direct =
sunlight in a very short period of time. I think I'll stay with the =
cotter rings.

Rummy=20

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C2578C.ECFC7080

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Rummy,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As noted above, the way I use the plastic ties they are not exposed =
to=20
sunlight.&nbsp; It is considerably warmer where you live than where I =
live, so=20
maybe there is a heat problem that I have not experienced.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Because this is a critical function, and I had never heard of =
anyone doing=20
it, I initially checked the cable tie cotter pins very frequently.&nbsp; =
I would=20
carefully cut open the rigging tape and visually inspect the =
plastic.&nbsp;=20
Because there was never any sign of wear I did not trust my observation, =
so I=20
would destructively inspect the cable tie, cutting it off.&nbsp; Every =
one was=20
soft, none was brittle, not one had so much as a nick in the =
plastic.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>They are so easy to replace, and I have so many, that I now change =
them=20
every time I set up the boat.&nbsp; I inspect every one.&nbsp; Never had =
a=20
single problem.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Bill Effros</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3DR22RumRunner@aol.com=20
href=3D"mailto:R22RumRunner@aol.com">R22RumRunner@aol.com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Drhodes22-list@rhodes22.org=20
href=3D"mailto:rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org">rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org</A>=
 </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, September 08, 2002 9:47 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [Rhodes22-list] Wire ties.</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial =
size=3D2=20
FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">From past experience, I would not use nor recommend =
using=20
plastic wire ties. They become extremely brittle from exposure to heat =
and=20
direct sunlight in a very short period of time. I think I'll stay with =
the=20
cotter rings.<BR><BR>Rummy</FONT> </FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C2578C.ECFC7080--