[Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:52:39 -0400

<P>Michael, </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for the heads up about the balancing and especially about the strength and pressure that can blow out a sealed container.&nbsp; I have seen construction foam used for insulation bow 2x4's; thats was a serious concern.&nbsp;&nbsp;I want to get this right (as possible) the first time.</P>
<P>&nbsp;Thanks, everyone,  for the help.</P>
<P>Todd</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer" <MJM@MICHAELMELTZER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:17:17 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>is a liitle more that that, your best bet it to clear the area, and make a "dam" in the "V", pour, the glass and tab the area.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The form has to stay balanced around the centerline(so the boat does not flip), is in secure enought to hold the weight of the boat(remeber the block will be holding the boat "up" when flooded, the foam can get waterlogged to you want to preseal the hull with expoy and the glass will help for the longer term, leave some weep holes. The stuff is a pain to work with, your never belive the expanion or how stickly it is, it will blowout a sealed container, worst yet the part that hist the air first will seal the "overflow holes" leaving the form to blow out. pour from a complety open top and saw off the overflow is my best way, the glass over.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 10:54 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Denny,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Thanks for the response. Was there a specific foam you used? You say it expands fast huh? How dense is it? I'll have to I could experiment with it first. I guess I'd have to remove the fiberglass panel over the V-berth area and cut any overflow down, rather than try to pour through a few cut-in access holes. I will probably box off a couple of small areas against the aft bulkhead for a water tank and second battery compartment as someone mentioned they had.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I would certainly like to see your pictures and share mine with you. I, as I am sure you are, am keeping a detailed journal with pictures. I am in the process of gutting the entire interior of the cabin. My boat apparently sat for a long time with the campanionway hatch partly open and had quite a bit of rain water inside. Luckily a battery supplying power to a couple of automatic bilge pumps must have run dead only recently. Since the tongue of the trailer was on the ground, the water pooled in the bow area....until some idiot (me) blocked the tongue up and flooded the cabin. We will have to connect and exchange mailing addresses.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Todd
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Dennis J Sitler"
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To:
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 19:48:38 -0400
<DIV></DIV>Todd I am probably the one you are speaking of. I have a 1974 model Rhodes like you. I got my foam from Tapplastics at www.tapplastics.com. I used (2) 2 gallon kits to fill my v-berth. I have modified my v-berth section and it is about 4" lower than original, but I filled the entire area so that should be enough for you. Read the directions carefully, when this stuff kicks it really expands fast, so leave space in the top of your mixing container. I experianced this the hard way. I have pictures of the work on my boat but they are photographs. I'm not a computer guru like some on the list but I would share them with you by mail. As Roger says defender has foam and so does Jamestown Dist. at www.jamestowndistributors.com and they also have a lot of hardware and fasteners for working on boats. Good luck on your rebuild, mine's driving me crazy.
<DIV></DIV>Denny,
<DIV></DIV>1974 R22 Gossamer Wing
<DIV></DIV>Berwick, PA
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 2:14 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>All,
<DIV></DIV>Recently I read about someone with a boat about the same year as mine (1974) that did not contain, or it had been removed, the foam flotation under the v-berth. I can not remember where I was reading it or must have deleted the e-mail without copying it to my files.
<DIV></DIV>Someone (I think it was Roger) posted a suggestion for expanding foam to be used to fill this area. Can anyone help with a suggestion?
<DIV></DIV>Todd
<DIV></DIV>Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: Click Here
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________ Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org