[Rhodes22-list] To Bob Weber: What Happened In The Race

Bob Weber rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:52:18 -0500

Roger, The rusults can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/boulderyc/ I was
assigned a 296 - asked for a 274 ???.  Came in forth overall and forth
corrected. I suspect some handicap funny business especially by the 2nd
place guy who flew his spinnaker.  I was first off the start and lead till
about 100' shy of the first mark.  I was overtaken on the port on a port
tack.  I considered tacking infront of him but didnt want to peeve anyone
one my first race - also it would only have delayed my fate.  My downwind
preformance was abismal.  Watched 2 other boats blanket than pass me.  My
desire for a spinnaker has growen considerably (even more so after seeing
the bueatiful pictures of Raven).  I got good information of Poling
proceedures and that will be my short-term stop gap. I gained gound on the
leaders on the next windward leg but not enough.  It was fun.  I havent
raced in 17 years and almost forgot that sailing can be exciting and hard
work.  While I am thinking about it I need a better traveller arrangement -
hopefully someone at K-Lake has worked out a better solution.  Thanks for
asking I think I am hooked again.  Hold on the the wallet.
Bob Weber
SV Ruba