[Rhodes22-list] To Bob Weber: What Happened In The Race

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:44:32 -0400

Bob,

4th place overall in a 9 boat field on your first time out isn't so bad.
Don't be so hard on yourself.  That guy Danielson in his Catalina 25 seems
to be really hot, 1st place in the first two races in the Fall series.
Although, he didn't do so well in the Spring series.  Congratulations on
taking the start.

OK, I see it was a really light air race, 0 - 5 knots.  What kind of course
is the "Short Course".  5 nm of what?  Windward - leeward probably, but how
many legs?

Tell me about your boat.  What year is it?  Is your mainsail traveller the
old cable style or the newer style with the rod on the backstays?  Do you
have the genoa tracks for adjusting the lead position?  What condition are
your bottom, centerboard, & rudder blade in?

Hey, tacking in front of people is all part of sailboat racing.  Any move
which you can successfully execute, is not forbidden under the rules, & is
to your advantage is, by definition: "A tactically smart move."  If you
don't make it; then, you have, by definition:  "Made a tactical mistake."
Your opponents will thank you.  With only 100 feet to go to the 1st windward
mark, if you'd starboard tacked that guy, you probably would have stopped
him dead in the water, maybe even have made it impossible for him to fetch
the mark!  Gosh, your opponent's boat dead in the water, blocking the rest
of the fleet only 3 - 4 boat lengths from the windward mark with you in
clear air in front - what fun!  Bet he'd never try something like that on
you again.  This is called: "Covering your opponent."  In general, on the
windward leg, you want to try to stay between your opponent & the next mark
and give him the dirtiest air you possibly can.

Without a spinnaker, life on the downwind legs is going to be tough for you.
But, there are still some things you can do.  The next time a similar sized
boat passes you on the downwind leg, park right on that guy's windward hip.
Use your masthead wind indicator to aim your wind shadow right at his rig.
Your rig's wind shadow extends about 10 boat lengths out, but the closer the
better as far the effectiveness goes.  You'll know your aim is good when you
see his spinnaker collapse & mainsail start slatting.  Of course, he
probably going to start a gibing duel to try & scrape you off his transom.
But, with your standard rig, if you can't gibe faster than a spinnaker
rigged boat, then you need sail handling practice.  With his rig crippled by
your wind shadow, you should be able to easily keep up.  But, don't try to
pass him, just sit there slowing him down just enough to keep up until you
get about 4 boat lengths from the leeward mark.  When it's time for the
kill, move in as close as you dare, totally smother his rig with your wind
shadow, & he'll just about stop dead in the water.  With any luck, he'll get
a spinnaker wrap from your dirty air or make some other mistake.  While he's
dead in the water, pass him on the inside, & round the leeward mark in
front!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium