[Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation

Dennis J Sitler rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 21:04:46 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C25844.86EA07E0

Hi Todd,
The foam was X-30 from Tapplastics. Look under molding and casting on =
the web site. It is interesting that you have a fiberglass panel in the =
v-berth. My boat had one too, but it was broken loose from the starboard =
side and that was how I figured there wasn't a foam block under it. It =
seems that the other boats that I have seen don't have these, but have a =
bulkhead with the foam forward and plywood on top. That is what I did =
with my boat. I removed the fiberglass insert, along with everything =
else in the cabin, except the large piece of cement ballast. I then put =
a bulkhead on each side of the cement. From the forward one I put foam =
and to the rear one I attached the seats and the floor. I put seats on =
each side as I didn't have a galley to copy or rebuild. I have some =
idea's on making a pop up sink in the end of one seat. I think my boat =
will have more of a day sailor look, but with what was left of a galley, =
and my amateur experience at boat building this is the way I went. So =
when I put the foam in I drew lines to the bow of the v-berth in a level =
plane. I then filled the open area until it was higher than the lines, =
and cut it down with a knife and a wood rasp. I then cut a section =
toward the front and epoxied a length of plywood across for something to =
fasten the 2 piece plywood top to in the front. I plan to seal the edges =
with can foam like Great Stuff and sand and paint. I have found that =
Great Stuff shrunk a little when I painted it with oil base primer =
though. I am putting a compression post from the cement block to the =
cabin top, so it will have a open look when it is done, when ever that =
may be. I have a lot more work to do as I'm sure you do, but I'm going =
sailing while I can on my small boat, or with friends, and will be =
working on the boat and trailer on rainy or winter days. I've given up =
for this year.

Denny,
1974 R22 Gossamer Wing
Berwick, PA