[Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:28:51 -0400

<P>Michael, </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; From looking at pictures of other boats only, the post and bulkhead look original, but I will have to see an older boat inside to be sure.</P>
<P>Todd<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer" <MJM@MICHAELMELTZER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 00:31:46 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>it not a question of not replacing, it a question of putting it back, their might also be a issue what has broken loose over the year(hull flex), and rooted member that are not conecting do not sound good :-) and I wondering what a PO might have done to the compression post, I ment what I said, it a heavy weighted item, what do you have thier now and does it look original?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 12:17 AM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Michael,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Thanks for that important information!! I guess I will go slow and replace wood only if rotten and/or deteriorated and brace or sister what I can. I don't want a fold-boat. LOL
<DIV></DIV>So far everything just looked wet but not in really bad shape. No sense making more work for myself I guess. But the floor over the bilge isn't structural I hope??
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Not sure what you meant by:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><THE filled, is why that spec, Rhodes Phil original the of part post compression in incorporated weight>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Todd
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer"
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To:
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:47:25 -0400
<DIV></DIV>tow things I should mention here,
<DIV></DIV>The weight that is incorporated in the compression post is part of the original Phil Rhodes spec, that why is filled,
<DIV></DIV>The stringers and the v-berth are thier not only for thier use but to strengen the hull(same for alot of the other stuff), the hull empty it unfit to sail, it has no strenght. maybe I missed something here but the boat acts as a system not like a house where you only have to watchout for barring walls.
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 10:51 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Denny,
<DIV></DIV>Thanks for all of the input. Yes, my boat had a fiberglass top over the v-berth section. The PO must have had a water problem because he cut a hole in the panel to drop a bilge pump into the bow area and that is how I found out I had no flotation.
<DIV></DIV>There was a plywood boxed off section against the rear bulkhead as deep as this area, about 18" wide and 24" front to back. There was a cover with a finger hole I drew up some sketches of what I want to do. I plan to cut the top off leaving about a 2" lip around the edge so I can glass a new panel over top when I am finished. I am not sure what to use or where to find panel material. Someone I talked to mentioned something called "star-board". I have to research it better first. If not I'll go with the 1/2" marine plywood. I am going to tear out the floor of the cabin, the galley area, and the stepped up area by the v-berth to check the integrity of the wood .....especially the area under the compression post/bulkhead. The post is only two 1 x 3's, and I may beef it up to overkill. Once I have the cabin floor out I want to drop it in the water once to check the hull for leaks before I go on. But there is no telling what else I am going to find. Then the fun begins.
<DIV></DIV>I took a guess (I haven't measured yet) at the volume of the v-berth area to be about 13 cubic feet. What did you come up with and did it take the whole 2 gallons of pre-mix? (I know you have 4" less height) After thinking about your open design, it is giving me ideas to do the same. We will never be out more than the weekend and always use bottled and carried along water when ever we camp, rarely using the sink in our camper.
<DIV></DIV>I am still waiting for the titling documents for my boat. Once I have them, I am going to bring the boat home where I can work on it more often. Now it's an hour away and 300 ft from an electrical outlet :^( Things will go much faster when I can step right from the garage/shop into the boat.
<DIV></DIV>Berwick seems pretty land-locked. Are there lakes near where you live?
<DIV></DIV>Todd
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>From: "Dennis J Sitler"
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To:
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 21:04:46 -0400
<DIV></DIV>Hi Todd,
<DIV></DIV>The foam was X-30 from Tapplastics. Look under molding and casting on the web site. It is interesting that you have a fiberglass panel in the v-berth. My boat had one too, but it was broken loose from the starboard side and that was how I figured there wasn't a foam block under it. It seems that the other boats that I have seen don't have these, but have a bulkhead with the foam forward and plywood on top. That is what I did with my boat. I removed the fiberglass insert, along with everything else in the cabin, except the large piece of cement ballast. I then put a bulkhead on each side of the cement. From the forward one I put foam and to the rear one I attached the seats and the floor. I put seats on each side as I didn't have a galley to copy or rebuild. I have some idea's on making a pop up sink in the end of one seat. I think my boat will have more of a day sailor look, but with what was left of a galley, and my amateur experience at boat building this is the way I went. So when I put the foam in I drew lines to the bow of the v-berth in a level plane. I then filled the open area until it was higher than the lines, and cut it down with a knife and a wood rasp. I then cut a section toward the front and epoxied a length of plywood across for something to fasten the 2 piece plywood top to in the front. I plan to seal the edges with can foam like Great Stuff and sand and paint. I have found that Great Stuff shrunk a little when I painted it with oil base primer though. I am putting a compression post from the cement block to the cabin top, so it will have a open look when it is done, when ever that may be. I have a lot more work to do as I'm sure you do, but I'm going sailing while I can on my small boat, or with friends, and will be working on the boat and trailer on rainy or winter days. I've given up for this year.
<DIV></DIV>Denny,
<DIV></DIV>1974 R22 Gossamer Wing
<DIV></DIV>Berwick, PA
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 10:54 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] V-berth flotation
<DIV></DIV>Denny,
<DIV></DIV>Thanks for the response. Was there a specific foam you used? You say it expands fast huh? How dense is it? I'll have to I could experiment with it first. I guess I'd have to remove the fiberglass panel over the V-berth area and cut any overflow down, rather than try to pour through a few cut-in access holes. I will probably box off a couple of small areas against the aft bulkhead for a water tank and second battery compartment as someone mentioned they had.
<DIV></DIV>I would certainly like to see your pictures and share mine with you. I, as I am sure you are, am keeping a detailed journal with pictures. I am in the process of gutting the entire interior of the cabin. My boat apparently sat for a long time with the campanionway hatch partly open and had quite a bit of rain water inside. Luckily a battery supplying power to a couple of automatic bilge pumps must have run dead only recently. Since the tongue of the trailer was on the ground, the water pooled in the bow area....until some idiot (me) blocked the tongue up and flooded the cabin. We will have to connect and exchange mailing addresses.
<DIV></DIV>Todd
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click Here
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________ Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here