[Rhodes22-list] round 3

Michael Meltzer rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:17:24 -0400

Thank you Rik, Paul(at least I did not add draconian :-), Mary(kain liked that to :-), Neil, Joe and everyone for putting up with
this nonsailing(well rooney like the boat too :-) topic, I am on dealine for the Friday paper so this looks like the finial one.
Thank you all again.

MJM

An Open Letter to the Westport RTM:

            I'm glad to hear the RTM will be reviewing the latest winter regulations for Compo Beach, which is just another example
of the over-regulation we've been seeing in our town. I find it an affront to the Connecticut Yankee spirit, and to butcher a
paraphrase: "Another person's paranoia should not be my problem". To the best of my knowledge there have been no reported problems
that demand a solution. A dog owner is morally, financially and criminally responsible for the actions of their property. We
understand our responsibility, act appropriately, and would never expose an out of control animal to the public.

I have three daughters, aged: 7, 5 and 1, whose favorite winter activity is going to Compo Beach with our dog Rooney. After a long
winter week, we go with my wife's complete blessing and relief. We run around, walk the dog, dig the sand, climb the jetties, play
fetch in the water, and collect rocks and shells. We are a family, all of us, including Rooney. The girls love the playground.
Because I am a responsible parent, I am busily keeping a watch on all. Many other children come to pet and meet our dog Rooney. Like
many other families, we have done this for years. So what are those new rules about? Am I going to be forced to break the law by
having Rooney with me or to break the law by not supervising my children? Or better yet maybe I should leave the kids at the house
while I take Rooney to the beach? How much family time do any of us have?

I am a regular guy, humble, hard-working with the Metro North monthly ticket, up early and home late. I am not a member of PETA, or
an activist at the town meetings or somebody who thinks dogs are people. I never was disappointed in my Westport until now. What
some might view as a compromise, is to my family a loss of one of the few town resources we can use. Never before have I seen an
issue forced through by the few wielding power in the face of strong opposition.

Scrap the new rules. There is no problem at Compo Beach, it is truly a non-issue. The only problem is in the minds of bored people
with not enough to do and the effects of their tyranny.

Sincerely,

Michael Meltzer

Register Voter, Westport, CT