[Rhodes22-list] need some help

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:40:59 -0500

--B_3114646860_62814491

Rummy, Michael,

Barbara Woodhouse would agree with you that there are =B3No Bad Dogs=B2, the
very title of one of her books on dog training.  Although I MIGHT agree wit=
that, the simple fact remains that there are dogs that do indeed attack.
Example: the story of the dogs in San Francisco that killed a woman and the
dog owners were charged with murder!  They had it coming.  Dogs get
aggressive when they think they=B9re defending food, territory, their young o=
their masters.  In these off-leash areas, the dogs can easily get confused
about what they think they need to defend.

When people come to my house, they ask if my dog bites.  My stock answer is=
,
=B3Sure, ALL dogs bite.  It=B9s just a question of why and when.=B2  There are
also a great many people that are simply afraid of dogs and of course the
dogs sense this, which exacerbates the problem.  Often, a dog will charge a
stranger just to check him/her out.  Understandably, the bystander gets
nervous and BAMMO, there=B9s an incident.   We have no control over the =B3bad
owners=B2 who can=B9t control their dogs and hence, the regulations to protect
the innocent.   I remember the days when dogs were allowed to roam the
neighborhood at their whim and often got run over by cars or shot by a
protective homeowner.  That isn=B9t a good way to go either.

My solution is to have a fenced in yard where Major can run full tilt aroun=
the house and yard and I also take him hunting when I can so he can do what
he=B9s born to do.  That=B9s the key.  If you can allow him to do what comes
naturally, he=B9ll respond with a great appreciation and learn the difference
between his domestic roll and his natural calling.  Major has never bit
anyone...yet, and he=B9s ten years old.  He=B9s a Lab, which is a breed least
likely to bite, but I=B9ve also had Shepherds, who are extremely
people-aggressive.  Letting a Shepherd, Doberman, Rotwhiler, Pit Bull,
Boxer, etc. off the leash is asking for problems.  We may have nice, mellow
dogs=8Band Roony looks like a sweetheart, but not every one has a dog like
this.

Todd asked the question, =B3What would motivate the Westport RTM to legislate
your wholesome family activities into criminality?=B2  Good question and I
think I know the answer:  too many people complaining.  I can=B9t blame them.

Slim and Major

On 9/11/02 7:38 AM, "R22RumRunner@aol.com" <R22RumRunner@aol.com> wrote:

> Michael,
> Dog owners usually fit into one of two categories; responsible and not
> responsible.
> I think people, whether they own pets or not, should be able to go outsid=
e, on
> public land without having fear of being attacked by an unleashed/unsuper=
vised
> animal. I also like to have areas where I can let my dog just run, but th=
ey
> are becoming harder to find. The good of the many outweighs the needs of =
> few. (Who said that anyway?)
> Dog attacks are a real problem everywhere. There are no bad dogs, just ba=
> owners.
> Sounds like a reasonable solution has been reached.
>=20
> Rummy=20
>=20

--B_3114646860_62814491

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Rhodes22-list] need some help</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Rummy, Michael,<BR>
<BR>
Barbara Woodhouse would agree with you that there are &#8220;No Bad Dogs&#8=
221;, the very title of one of her books on dog training. &nbsp;Although I M=
IGHT agree with that, the simple fact remains that there are dogs that do in=
deed attack. &nbsp;Example: the story of the dogs in San Francisco that kill=
ed a woman and the dog owners were charged with murder! &nbsp;They had it co=
ming. &nbsp;Dogs get aggressive when they think they&#8217;re defending food=
, territory, their young or their masters. &nbsp;In these off-leash areas, t=
he dogs can easily get confused about what they think they need to defend. &=
nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
When people come to my house, they ask if my dog bites. &nbsp;My stock answ=
er is, &#8220;Sure, ALL dogs bite. &nbsp;It&#8217;s just a question of why a=
nd when.&#8221; &nbsp;There are also a great many people that are simply afr=
aid of dogs and of course the dogs sense this, which exacerbates the problem=
. &nbsp;Often, a dog will charge a stranger just to check him/her out. &nbsp=
;Understandably, the bystander gets nervous and BAMMO, there&#8217;s an inci=
dent. &nbsp;&nbsp;We have no control over the &#8220;bad owners&#8221; who c=
an&#8217;t control their dogs and hence, the regulations to protect the inno=
cent. &nbsp;&nbsp;I remember the days when dogs were allowed to roam the nei=
ghborhood at their whim and often got run over by cars or shot by a protecti=
ve homeowner. &nbsp;That isn&#8217;t a good way to go either. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
My solution is to have a fenced in yard where Major can run full tilt aroun=
d the house and yard and I also take him hunting when I can so he can do wha=
t he&#8217;s born to do. &nbsp;That&#8217;s the key. &nbsp;If you can allow =
him to do what comes naturally, he&#8217;ll respond with a great appreciatio=
n and learn the difference between his domestic roll and his natural calling=
. &nbsp;Major has never bit anyone...yet, and he&#8217;s ten years old. &nbs=
p;He&#8217;s a Lab, which is a breed least likely to bite, but I&#8217;ve al=
so had Shepherds, who are extremely people-aggressive. &nbsp;Letting a Sheph=
erd, Doberman, Rotwhiler, Pit Bull, Boxer, etc. off the leash is asking for =
problems. &nbsp;We may have nice, mellow dogs&#8212;and Roony looks like a s=
weetheart, but not every one has a dog like this.<BR>
<BR>
Todd asked the question, &#8220;What would motivate the Westport RTM to leg=
islate your wholesome family activities into criminality?&#8221; &nbsp;Good =
question and I think I know the answer: &nbsp;too many people complaining. &=
nbsp;I can&#8217;t blame them.<BR>
<BR>
Slim and Major<BR>
<BR>
On 9/11/02 7:38 AM, &quot;R22RumRunner@aol.com&quot; &lt;R22RumRunner@aol.c=
om&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Michael,<BR>
Dog owners usually fit into one of two categories; responsible and not resp=
onsible.<BR>
I think people, whether they own pets or not, should be able to go outside,=
 on public land without having fear of being attacked by an unleashed/unsupe=
rvised animal. I also like to have areas where I can let my dog just run, bu=
t they are becoming harder to find. The good of the many outweighs the needs=
 of a few. (Who said that anyway?)<BR>
Dog attacks are a real problem everywhere. There are no bad dogs, just bad =
owners.<BR>
Sounds like a reasonable solution has been reached.<BR>
<BR>
Rummy</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3114646860_62814491--