[Rhodes22-list] need some help

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:09:18 -0500

--B_3114778159_70716075

Michael,
Now I get it.  Selectman Carl Leaman and Mark Smith are obviously cat
lovers.

On 9/12/02 11:34 AM, "Michael Meltzer" <mjm@michaelmeltzer.com> wrote:

> Steve I think this ones answer your question:
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E767755,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E792717,00.ht=
ml
> <http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%7E4435%7E792717,00.html>
> =20
> =20
> some other backround
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E775333,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E775342,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E775345,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E780713,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E792714,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E843112,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E804476,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E825002,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E829772,00.ht=
ml
> http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E843112,00.ht=
ml
> =20
> This week batch is not posted yet, the town takes any issue as a full con=
tact
> sport.
> MJM
> =20
> =20
In
> [...]
>> a great many people that are simply afraid of dogs and of course the dog=
>> sense this, which exacerbates the problem.  Often, a dog will charge a
>> stranger just to check him/her out.  Understandably, the bystander gets
>> nervous and BAMMO, there=92s an incident.   We have no control over the =93b=
ad
>> owners=94 who can=92t control their dogs and hence, the regulations to prote=
ct
>> the innocent.   I remember the days when dogs were allowed to roam the
>> neighborhood at their whim and often got run over by cars or shot by a
>> protective homeowner.  That isn=92t a good way to go either.
>>=20
>> My solution is to have a fenced in yard where Major can run full tilt ar=
ound
>> the house and yard and I also take him hunting when I can so he can do w=
hat
>> he=92s born to do.  That=92s the key.  If you can allow him to do what comes
>> naturally, he=92ll respond with a great appreciation and learn the differe=
nce
>> between his domestic roll and his natural calling.  Major has never bit
>> anyone...yet, and he=92s ten years old.  He=92s a Lab, which is a breed leas=
>> likely to bite, but I=92ve also had Shepherds, who are extremely
>> people-aggressive.  Letting a Shepherd, Doberman, Rotwhiler, Pit Bull, B=
oxer,
>> etc. off the leash is asking for problems.  We may have nice, mellow dog=
s=97and
>> Roony looks like a sweetheart, but not every one has a dog like this.
>>=20
>> Todd asked the question, =93What would motivate the Westport RTM to legisl=
ate
>> your wholesome family activities into criminality?=94  Good question and I
>> think I know the answer:  too many people complaining.  I can=92t blame th=
em.
>>=20
>> Slim and Major
>>=20
>> On 9/11/02 7:38 AM, "R22RumRunner@aol.com" <R22RumRunner@aol.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Michael,
>>> Dog owners usually fit into one of two categories; responsible and not
>>> responsible.
>>> I think people, whether they own pets or not, should be able to go outs=
ide,
>>> on public land without having fear of being attacked by an
>>> unleashed/unsupervised animal. I also like to have areas where I can le=
t my
>>> dog just run, but they are becoming harder to find. The good of the man=
>>> outweighs the needs of a few. (Who said that anyway?)
>>> Dog attacks are a real problem everywhere. There are no bad dogs, just =
bad
>>> owners.
>>> Sounds like a reasonable solution has been reached.

--B_3114778159_70716075

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Rhodes22-list] need some help</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Michael,<BR>
Now I get it. &nbsp;<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Selectman Carl Leaman and Mark Smith are=
 obviously cat lovers.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
On 9/12/02 11:34 AM, &quot;Michael Meltzer&quot; &lt;mjm@michaelmeltzer.com=
&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Steve I think this one=
s answer your question:<BR>
http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E767755,00.html=
<BR>
http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%257E4435%257E792717,00.html=
 &lt;http://www.westport-news.com/Stories/0,1413,100%7E4435%7E792717,00.html=
&gt; <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">some other backround<BR>
[...]
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">This week batch is not posted yet,=
 the town takes any issue as a full contact sport.<BR>
MJM<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><B>From:</B> Steve Alm &lt;mailto:s=
alm@mn.rr.com&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Thursday, September 12, 2002 4:40 AM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> Re: [Rhodes22-list] need some help<BR>
<BR>
Rummy, Michael,<BR>
<BR>
Barbara Woodhouse would agree with you that there are =93No Bad Dogs=94, the ve=
ry title of one of her books on dog training. &nbsp;Although I MIGHT agree w=
ith that, the simple fact remains that there are dogs that do indeed attack.=
 &nbsp;Example: the story of the dogs in San Francisco that killed a woman a=
nd the dog owners were charged with murder! &nbsp;They had it coming. &nbsp;=
Dogs get aggressive when they think they=92re defending food, territory, their=
 young or their masters. &nbsp;In these off-leash areas, the dogs can easily=
 get confused about what they think they need to defend. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
When people come to my house, they ask if my dog bites. &nbsp;My stock answ=
er is, =93Sure, ALL dogs bite. &nbsp;It=92s just a question of why and when.=94 &n=
bsp;There are also a great many people that are simply afraid of dogs and of=
 course the dogs sense this, which exacerbates the problem. &nbsp;Often, a d=
og will charge a stranger just to check him/her out. &nbsp;Understandably, t=
he bystander gets nervous and BAMMO, there=92s an incident. &nbsp;&nbsp;We hav=
e no control over the =93bad owners=94 who can=92t control their dogs and hence, t=
he regulations to protect the innocent. &nbsp;&nbsp;I remember the days when=
 dogs were allowed to roam the neighborhood at their whim and often got run =
over by cars or shot by a protective homeowner. &nbsp;That isn=92t a good way =
to go either. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
My solution is to have a fenced in yard where Major can run full tilt aroun=
d the house and yard and I also take him hunting when I can so he can do wha=
t he=92s born to do. &nbsp;That=92s the key. &nbsp;If you can allow him to do wh=
at comes naturally, he=92ll respond with a great appreciation and learn the di=
fference between his domestic roll and his natural calling. &nbsp;Major has =
never bit anyone...yet, and he=92s ten years old. &nbsp;He=92s a Lab, which is a=
 breed least likely to bite, but I=92ve also had Shepherds, who are extremely =
people-aggressive. &nbsp;Letting a Shepherd, Doberman, Rotwhiler, Pit Bull, =
Boxer, etc. off the leash is asking for problems. &nbsp;We may have nice, me=
llow dogs=97and Roony looks like a sweetheart, but not every one has a dog lik=
e this.<BR>
<BR>
Todd asked the question, =93What would motivate the Westport RTM to legislate=
 your wholesome family activities into criminality?=94 &nbsp;Good question and=
 I think I know the answer: &nbsp;too many people complaining. &nbsp;I can=92t=
 blame them.<BR>
<BR>
Slim and Major<BR>
<BR>
On 9/11/02 7:38 AM, &quot;R22RumRunner@aol.com&quot; &lt;R22RumRunner@aol.c=
om&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Michael,<BR>
Dog owners usually fit into one of two categories; responsible and not resp=
onsible.<BR>
I think people, whether they own pets or not, should be able to go outside,=
 on public land without having fear of being attacked by an unleashed/unsupe=
rvised animal. I also like to have areas where I can let my dog just run, bu=
t they are becoming harder to find. The good of the many outweighs the needs=
 of a few. (Who said that anyway?)<BR>
Dog attacks are a real problem everywhere. There are no bad dogs, just bad =
owners.<BR>
Sounds like a reasonable solution has been reached.<BR>
<BR>
Rummy</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3114778159_70716075--