[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 for sale

Bill Berner dblbld@attglobal.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:12:39 -0400

Roger -

Regarding your question about the fire damage.

A day after returning from the trip my consciounce and good sense got
the better of me and I called the owner to discuss and disclose the full
story.

He thanked me for my change of heart, but expressed concern because he
had the boat going back out later that day on another charter.
Obviously he hadn't made a thorough inspection, which also explains why
I had the stove problem to begin with.

While neither of us were necessarily as responsible as we should have
been, I was annoyed about how little responsibility he took for the
problem.  He in fact disclosed to me later that they found a leak in the
alcohol line behind the stove, which explains some of the loss of
pressure as well as the fire behind and under the stove and probably in
the oven as well.

I felt that the cost of the charter should have been reduced due to the
reduced functionality of boat systems as well as time lost in screwing
around with it.

In the end, he returned about 650.00 of a 1,000.00 deposit.  He was
supposed to give me an itemized description of the charges as per the
contract but neglected to do so.  Given that there was some req'd paint
work and gel coat filling as a result of our crummy docking, I only felt
somewhat ripped off.

Two lessons here as far as I can tell.  The big one is thoroughly check
out all systems before leaving the charter company.  The second, avoid
small operators if possible.  This guy was not a total bum, but dealing
with him was not a great experience.

BB

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway