[Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

J Cook joscook@msn.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:20:42 -0400

Last year I was on my dad's boat motor boat when it was holed.  The two b=
ilge pumps did drain the batteries.  But they allowed us to keep afloat l=
ong enough to limp over to the edge of a sand bar.  We made our distress =
calls before the battery ran dead.  We also carried a handheld as a backu=
p.  =20

We were able to rest the boat on the sand bar until another boat came and=
 towed us into port.  We kept afloat while being towed with bucket bailin=
g, efficient, but very tiring after a while.  Using the handheld VHF we w=
ere able to contact a marina and make arraingemnets to have the boat lift=
ed when we arrived.  =20

I'm glad we had bilge pumps.  THey bought us some time.  The handheld pro=
ved to be worth way more than it price.  =20

Now I know the R22 is "unsinkable."  Nevertheless I have installed two bi=
lge pumps and carry a handheld  VHF as a backup. It just feels good.    =20
----- Original Message -----
From: Kip Hansen
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 9:04 AM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

Brad,

On the other hand, for those annoying situations when you find 50 gallons=
 of
water in the bilges, due to clogged cockpit seat drains and heavy rains (=
the
seat drains allow water to flow in the laz hatch when clogged by leaves a=
nd pine
needles) or the myriad other ways us dumb humans allow water into our boa=
ts
where is doesn't belong, a little inexpensive pump with a manual switch i=
s a
great way to get that water back out where it belongs.

Kip Hansen

Bill Effros wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Fix the leaks, don't over-complicate the boat.
>
> If I empty the bilge twice a season it's a lot.  The bilge rarely has e=
nough
> water in it to trip bilge pump sensors.
>
> If you develop a serious leak while you're away, the bilge pumps will d=
rain
> your batteries; the pumps will stop before you return; and you will win=
d up
> with just as much water in your boat as you would have had with no bilg=
> pump at all.
>
> If you develop a serious leak while you're aboard, these dinky little p=
umps
> won't pump water out faster than it comes in.  They will drain your
> batteries, and you won't have lights, radio, and other things you might=
 wish
> you had during an emergency.  You will wind up with just as much water =
in
> your boat as you would have had with no bilge pump at all.
>
> Bill Effros

   I'm glad we had bilge pumps.&n= bsp; THey bought us some time.  The
   handheld proved to be worth way = more than it price.

   Now I know the R2= 2 is "unsinkable."  Nevertheless I have installed
   two= bilge pumps and carry a handheld  VHF as a backup. It just fee=
   ls good.

     On the other hand, for those annoying situations when you fi= nd 50
     gallons of
     water in the bilges, due to clogged cockpit seat drai= ns and heavy
     rains (the
     seat drains allow water to flow in the laz hat= ch when clogged by
     leaves and pine
     needles) or the myriad other ways u= s dumb humans allow water into
     our boats
     where is doesn't belong, a li= ttle inexpensive pump with a manual
     switch is a
     great way to get that = water back out where it belongs.
     Kip Hansen
     Bill Effros wro= te:
     > Brad,
     >
     > Fix the leaks, don't over-complicat= e the boat.
     >
     > If I empty the bilge twice a season it's a lo= t.  The bilge
     rarely has enough
     > water in it to trip bilge pu= mp sensors.
     >
     > If you develop a serious leak while you're aw= ay, the bilge
     pumps will drain
     > your batteries; the pumps will sto= p before you return; and you
     will wind up
     > with just as much water= in your boat as you would have had with
     no bilge
     > pump at all.
     >
     > If you develop a serious leak while you're aboard, these di= nky
     little pumps
     > won't pump water out faster than it comes in.&nb= sp; They will
     drain your
     > batteries, and you won't have lights, ra= dio, and other things
     you might wish
     > you had during an emergency.=   You will wind up with just as
     much water in
     > your boat as y= ou would have had with no bilge pump at all.
     >
     > Bill Effros<= BR>>

     &g= t; very stiff and brittle (one broke) so I'm replacing