[Rhodes22-list] what happened to the french?

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:16:13 -0500

Michael,

I missed part of a radio broadcast today that spoke of military
tradition. I just got in the car as they were discussing the British
military and their use of "Red coats". It seems that the reason the
British officers wore red coats was to keep the troops from panic if an
officer was wounded. Apparently, the red coat would disguise blood from
a wound, thus preventing the men under his command from knowing he was
wounded.

In a related story, it appears that French officers wore BROWN pants for
the same reason!

Alex