[Rhodes22-list] UPS arrived yesterday

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Sat Apr 12 10:42:39 EDT 2003

Jay,

Raven already had a padeye installed in the deck just aft of the furler when
we bought her. It's got 4 bolts and a backing plate and sounds like the
Schaeffer you describe - I'll see if I can find any identifier on it today
and will let you know. I mounted a halyard restrainer on the mast about a
foot down from the masthead. We've got blocks w/ snap shackles that we
attach to the aft cleats for the asymmetric sheets. I won't know if we'll
use those or the standard jib sheet setup until we mess around w/ it a bit
and see what works best.

Gary (Raven's PO) had bolted a bail w/ a small block to the front of the
masthead for the asymmetric halyard. Because the UPS is rigged inside the
headstay, rather than outside like the asymmetric, we routed the halyard
through the sstarboard set of masthead blocks. Our topping lift runs through
the port set.

Mark