[Rhodes22-list] UPS arrived yesterday

Jay Friedland a.jayf at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 11:33:47 EDT 2003

Mark,
Thanks for your response. I was planning to launch today, but winds are
15-20 and 35, so consider me a fair weather sailor. Tomorrow is
forecasted into the high 50's with lighter winds.

I had a concern and was wondering why I never heard it discussed on the
list. How much pull is on the halyard with a spin under sail? From what
I've seen of installations, it means running the halyard from the mast
through a standard deck block to the cockpit for cleating. This seems
to be the weakest link.

  The deck block, typically a small Ronstan spring-loaded type, doesn't
seem beefy enough, or well-anchored or well-positioned enough, to take
any heavy pull from the halyard. Is this what you're using or similar?
Is a padeye mounted at the base of the mast to provide a direct pull
down more effective? Any way of through-bolting a block to the cabin
top? Is any of this necesary? Just very curious on what you feel is
needed.

Thnaks,
Jay