[Rhodes22-list] UPS arrived yesterday

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Fri Apr 18 13:02:12 EDT 2003

Jay,

We've currently just got a block (see the attached pictures) screwed into
the deck with a stainless eye strap. It was installed for when the halyard
is run through a block on a bail atthemasthead for the asymmetric. It's a
bit too far forward for the UPS halyard, since we're using the second set of
masthead blocks. I need to add another block in the correct position, but
hadn't decided what or how to to it yet.

I've considered installing a mast plate but thought that might be overkill.
I really don't know how much the block gets loaded. The literature for the
furler that comes with the UPS says you should only put enough tension on
the halyard to keep the luff from deforming a lot - too much tension will
result in early failure of the furling system. The more I think about it,
the more I'm inclined to look for a mast plate. I'd also like to hear from
others with more experience in this.

Mark