Fw: [Rhodes22-list] Getaway's new home

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Tue Apr 15 09:44:58 EDT 2003

As Bob has mentioned, we are the new owners of the "Getaway".  I look
forward to getting a lot of advice and help from this group, as I'm a fairly
novice sailor.  A lifelong dream of owning a sail boat has finally happened.
But, as boats go, it's time (already) to throw some money at it.  Virginia
requires boat trailers over 3,000 pounds gross to have trailer brakes, and
this trailer does not.  So, looks like it's time to add brakes.  Especially
before I tow from St. Louis to southwest Virginia.

Question, electric vs. hydraulic?  I've heard that hydraulic are preferred
in salt water areas, but I'll be mostly lake sailing.  Looks like the prices
for both systems are comparable, around $500-600.  Any difference between
10" and 12" besides braking power?  Any other advice you can give me would
be helpful!  Thanks - Rob