[Rhodes22-list] Getaway's new home

Saroj saroj at pathfind.net
Tue Apr 15 09:55:16 EDT 2003

Rob, Upon discovering that my surge brakes no longer worked, I invested in
electric brakes a few years ago.  Upside is that it is easy to test if they
are working and I have a heightened sense of security with the electric
brakes.  Downside is that you need a vehicle with the part that links into
the electrical system of the car.  My tow vehicle was totalled and none of
the rental agencies have trucks with electric brake setups.  I subsequently
used rental vehicles to tow the boat from AZ to MT and then from MT to VA
(where I currently live) with NO brakes other than the emergency brakes that
run off a battery on the trailer itself triggered by separation from the tow
vehicle.  I had absolutely no problem with braking or anything else during
either of those trips -- hardly even knew the boat was behind us (mind you,
we were towing with very heavy trucks).  Going thru the switch-backs of Zion
National Park heated up the truck breaks pretty well, but no driving issues.
I also went through the Rockies and the Appalachian mountains in these
trips.

I have a dual axle trailer which may be more stable -- ie no tail wagging.
I'm also careful to have sufficient tongue weight on these long trips by
storing the motor and other stuff in the v-berth.

I had heard on this list a few years ago that surge brakes were not allowed
in many states, but I honestly don't know if that is true, nor if it matters
(i.e. are the police ever going to stop you, know what you have or care).

Don't know if any of that helps, but may give you something to think about.
My preference is definitely electic brakes.

Saroj