[Rhodes22-list] Power Washing Old Bottom Paint

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Apr 16 09:00:18 EDT 2003

Todd,

Power washing is the preferred 1st step to remove old loose bottom paint &
water line scum.  Anything that comes off with a power washer needed to be
removed anyway.  However, speaking from personal experience, I would use the
power washer sparingly around the waterline stripe.  After the power
washing, the SOP is to carefully inspect the condition of the bottom & any
remaining bottom paint.  You may have to finish prepping the surface by wet
sanding &/or repairing a few nicks & gouges, particularly on the leading
edges of the bow, keel, & centerboard.  In your case, if the existing bottom
paint is very friable; then, you may find the bottom is essentially ready to
be repainted after power washing.  Stay away from sandblasting, even with
less abrasive blasting media, like crushed walnut shells, unless you've had
a lot of experience & practice with someone else's boat!  Power washing is
generally recognized as so safe that many large marinas have power washing
gear right by the launch ramp &/or marine travel lift & permit boat owners
to clean their bottoms themselves.  On our trailerable R-22's, a quarter car
wash works well.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium