[Rhodes22-list] Depthfinder

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Apr 16 09:44:59 EDT 2003

Hi Alice,

The R-22 has a huge storage locker at the aft end of the cockpit.  This
locker is about 30" long & spans the entire width of the boat.  It is
accessed via a lockable 30" square hatch right under the tiller.  This
locker is called the lazarette compartment.  It's wonderful for storage, one
of the R-22's best features!  However, because the lazarette compartment is
located right on the end of the boat & it's so big, you need to be a little
bit careful about how much weight you pack in there.  Too much heavy gear in
the lazarette compartment can cause the fore/aft trim of the boat to be down
by the stern.  The sailing performance of the R-22 is very sensitive to
fore/aft trim.  Trimming down by the stern adds a lot of drag, slows the
boat down, & tends to cause the boat to "hobby-horse" in waves.

I wouldn't recommend a transom-mounted depth sounder transducer on a
sailboat.  In waves, the transducer will frequently be lifted clear of the
water & the depth sounder will quit working for several seconds.

Hope this answers your questions, Alice.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium