[Rhodes22-list] Rik's R22 and Flicka, preventer

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 08:25:24 EDT 2003

Ed,

Pretty quiet winds that day on Kentucky Lake. we were going down wind, wing
on wing. The wind was just a little shifty, so I was have trouble with the
main wanting to jibe. I rigged that red line (dock line) as a preventer. I
just choked the line around the boom using the eye, ran it up throught the
inside genoa car and brought it back to the winch to tie off. it worked OK,
but the winds were light, so there was never any serious stress put on it.
It's hard to see in that pic, but you see I'm sitting in the very front of
the cockpit. In my left hand, I'm holding the extended boat hook that was
performing double duty that afternoon as a whisker pole. If I remember right,
that pic was taken by Doug Gardener as he was passing me with his kite flying.

Yes actually, the idea of putting the IMF mast on the Flicka had crossed my
mind. I have heard that both masts are the same length. (26 ft) and
surprisingly the Flicka has an almost identical stay setup. Only difference
is the lowers go out to the hull, rather than the cabin top and the stays and
hardware on the Flicka are heavier. The tabernacle is even the same. I think
I'd be giving up something like 15  feet of mains'l though. Heavy as that
girl is, I'm not sure I want to be giving up sail area. :-) Maybe with the
new vertical batten main..........Hmmmm

Rik