[Rhodes22-list] (no subject)

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 12:34:30 EDT 2003

Marc, I Prefer to raise and lower the mast in the water.  On the trailer it
is too far overhead to get a muscle on.  Also the first step I do when
lowering is to remove the furler/forstay and secure it to the mast.  So you
got my first 2 steps complete the next step (important) is disconnect the
poptop slider from the mast and any wires (antenna/steaming light) from
their fittings.  Pull into the slip forward, somewhere where there is pier
infront of the boat for a person to walk 10-15 feet infront of the boat.
With all four lower stays attached remove the rear stays and have someone
apply down/rearwards pressure on the now loose backstays ( if there is a
traveler between them, it makes a great handhold ).    While someone is
keeping backward pressure on backstays disconnect the 2 lower backstays.
Keep the mast loosely bolted to the tabernacle (so the mast will pivit but
not move fore or aft).  Now the lower forstays are keeping the mast from
going aft and the person holding the traveler keeps the mast from going
forward.  The person  holding the traveler bar starts easing the mast
forward while another person will be on the bow to share the weight.  Once
it gets to about 30 deg. the person in the back will not be able to hold
weight.  The person in the front has the load as he walks further forward of
the boat easing it down as he walks.  When you go shopping for helpers find
someone who has a similar boat ( catalina 22 or such ) take someone with
experience over brawn, my wife and I are able to do the job just fine and
she weighs less than the mast.  Good Luck - maby this is a opertunity to buy
roller furling if you didnt already have it.

Bob Weber