[Rhodes22-list] Short haul tow vehicle

bberner at optonline.net bberner at optonline.net
Thu Apr 24 10:10:38 EDT 2003

   A variation on the oft discussed tow vehicle question.

   The lease ended on my Grand Cherokee, and we decided that we were
   doing so little towing that we couldn't justify another polluting gas
   guzzler.

   Acting like the typical lefties that we are perceived to be, we have
   wound up with a Volvo XC-70 wagon (6 cyl AWD. It has a rated towing
   capacity of 3500#.  I'm putting a hitch on with the intent of just
   getting the boat 100 yards from the yard to down the ramp, and the
   reverse at the end of the season.  I'll also use it to get the unladen
   trailer to and from my house under 10 miles away.

   I wasn't planning on adding a transmission cooler since it's such a
   short trip with the boat on the trailer.

   Seems to me that it should be fine, but I'm having nightmares of the
   trailer and boat dragging the acr down the ramp.  I wouldn't mind, but
   the power boat guys would laugh.

   Anybody have any experience using a class 2 tow vehicle for short
   runs?  Opinions also welcome.
   Bill Berner
   v: 914.478.2896
   f: 914.478.3856