[Rhodes22-list] Short haul tow vehicle

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 07:35:38 EDT 2003

Bill,

You can't be that much of a lefty or you would have
bought a Volkswagon diesel, 50 mpg.  There's an
interesting article in todays NY Times on burning used
vegatable oil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/22/science/earth/22FUEL.html

If I hadn't given my old Mercedes diesel to a charity
I'd buy the conversion kit just for grins.

Seriously though, your car should be fine for your
stated intentions.  Years ago I was interested in
importing Haflingers, an Austrian based breed of
horse, and visited several shows each year in Europe.
Here in the US, horse people use Suburbans and duelley
trucks to pull horse trailers.  The Europeans use
their Volkswagon Golf to pull through the Alps on the
way to the shows. Amazing! I pulled my ski-boat, which
weighs about the same as the R-22, with a 4 cyl Izuzu
Trooper with a lot less horsepower than your Volvo.
Power will not be the problem, weight on the drive
axle coming out of the water on the ramp may be.  As
long as the ramp is dry you'll be fine.

The worse that could happen is you find your Volvo
struggles pulling the boat up the ramp.  Put the boat
back in the water and borrow someone elses vehichle.
I think you will be pleasantly suprised how well the
Volvo handles it.  I got frustrated a few times
pulling with the Isuzu in headwinds because it was so
underpowered but you won't be doing that anyway.

Good Luck with your new yuppiemobile!

Brad Haslett