[Rhodes22-list] Loose Goose (neck)

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Apr 29 13:32:25 EDT 2003

Bruce,

How many screws do you have in the boom slider plate? If two, counting the
gooseneck screw, you've got an older model like mine. If three, you've
probably got a newer one.

Mine's a 1988 model (two screws) and the machine screw that fastens the
gooseneck to the boom slider assembly goes through the plastic block to a
black plastic donut inside the mast. The screw pulled out of the threads on
mine and I just ended up replacing it this spring. If you've got a drill
press, you could probably rotate the donut a bit and drill and tap a new
hole for the screw. Whether you repair or replace it, you'll have to drop
the mast to access everything.

In the three screw version the gooseneck screw is fastened with a nut. The
other two screws thread into the plastic donuts, as above. I suppose that,
with the right wrench, you might be able to reach the nut through the
furling line opening, but I've never tried, and I suspect you'll need to
make a custom tool to do so. Perhaps someone who has done it successfully
with the three bolt version can tell you how.

Mark Kaynor