[Rhodes22-list] please help

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Aug 1 11:03:28 EDT 2003

Peter,

In the 1970s the Chinese bought a Boeing 707, took it apart, duplicated every part, and put their own version back together again.  It looked just like a 707, only it couldn't fly because the center of gravity was not in the right place.  The Chinese abandoned their "copy the 707" project.

The R-22 is also carefully balanced.  I'm sure the boat you are looking at will float, but it won't sail like one of Stan's R-22s.  The tip off is that Stan won't recycle those hulls.  They were not built to his standards.

I wouldn't buy that boat.  There are plenty of older boats available at very low prices if you are willing to do a lot of work.  There are always several people on this list who have gone that route, and will be happy to help you.

There are also many people who bought recycled boats from Stan at widely varying prices, and all who have posted seem to feel they got their money's worth.

Some of the people who bought handy-man specials report that they would have spent less and gotten more if they had bought recycled boats from Stan in the first place.

Bill Effros