[ham] Re: [Rhodes22-list] it all your fault ed :-)

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Sun Aug 3 01:44:24 EDT 2003

the Schaeffer I use are the 4 bolt "U", I checked thier web page:

http://www.schaefermarine.com/hardware.asp
-> deck hardware
->cast pad eyes
78-07 and the backing plate 97-53

Just redrilled the backing plate 1/4 to 3/8 to change is from using 1/4 nylons nuts to ballels nuts(been puting that off for a while
:-). i knew the loads need to be in the 4000 lb area and it fit the bill, what real got me using them was the matching backing
plate(the last boat only had the 1/2 single bolt with fender washers). it about 5 sq inchs, the cabin to area thier is one of the
best built for the mount of the control blocks, my best bet to hold the load without testing to distruction :-)

Never realy thought about the fold down, just wanted a simple strong surface mount hardware, it real not in the way there. I seem
small to me and rounded when my feet do find it.

It here you about stay in the cockpit, the system simply does that. remeber the june storm from nowhere 5+- years ago. only 2 people
killed that day(boomed and ate by a prop). well I was one of them riding out in open water, I was clipped on to the rear cleat
fighting 80mph winds, no fun, even hooked to the lader side it would be even money on geting eaten by the prop, same problem with
jackline going all the way back to the rear cleat, maybe on bigger boat were the prop is more away from the surface,
but............. The weeks after I install the hardpoint's to keep me in the cock pit, most times thier are use for the kids
hardness.

Hate to admit it but never went froward with only hardpoints, I do have life line and rail to the forward deck and would use the bow
cleat...

MJM