[Rhodes22-list] it all your fault ed :-)

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Aug 2 19:07:44 EDT 2003

Michael,

A little late to mention it, but have you seen the convertible Schaeffer Pad Eye/Block/Cleat?  I couldn't find it on their site, so maybe it didn't work out and they no longer offer it.

I think you are right about fixed clip-on points rather than jack lines.  As you know, here on LIS we see a couple of sailors a year killed while clipped onto jacklines.  Sometimes the jacklines snap, and sometimes they don't, but the point is that if you go into the water your chances of survival go down drastically.  Some of these guys drown while being dragged by the boat.  Not pretty.

Roger mentioned a couple of years ago that he'd rather break a few ribs and stay on board.  I think he's right, too.

Schaeffer makes removable pad eyes that can be flush when not needed.  I think yours are flip down?  What do you do if you have to go forward?  Clip onto the cleat?

Is an athwartships jackline between the 2 stern cleats viable in an emergency?  Can a harness be worn backward, clipped to such an emergency jackline to keep you in the cockpit while still allowing some movement?

Bill Effros