[ham] [Rhodes22-list] stainless steel drilling

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Aug 3 16:16:02 EDT 2003

Michael,

OK, all of the 300 series stainless steels possess a property called "work
hardening".  It's the chromium in these alloy steels that imparts this
property.  Titanium alloys also work harden quite severely.  Basically, what
work hardening means is that when you start to deform the surface, like say
at the cutting edge of a drill bit, some of the cutting energy to available
to the local crystal structure of the surrounding metal & it rearranges
slightly, eliminating small local defects, & causing the surface to become
very hard.  I presume those stainless steel Schaffer backing plates were all
nice & shiny & polished, right?  Well, the polishing operation left the
entire surface work hardened!

So, here's what you need to do:  A titanium nitride (TiN - looks gold
colored) coated drill bit will work.  However, you must run the drill press
at a slow speed, say 30-50 rpm, use a gentle feed pressure, & apply a steady
stream of machining oil.  The oil stream, not only lubricates; but, also
serves to cool the drill bit & work piece.  If you let things get so hot
that you smell burning; then, it already too late.  The drill bit is gone.

Good Luck, Michael!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium