[Rhodes22-list] STEERING QUESTION

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Aug 3 19:33:55 EDT 2003

Bob,

I am assuming your Rhodes 22 has the outboard motor mounted off-center on
the transom to port of the rudder.  If your outboard is mounted to starboard
of the rudder; then, everything I am about to tell you will need to be
reversed.  Actually, if your outboard is on the starboard side; then, I
don't understand why you are having a hard time turning to port!

In forward gear, the port offset location of the thrust from the outboard
motor generates a turning force or torque about the hull's Center of Lateral
Resistance (CLR) that tends to turn the bow to starboard.  This torque is in
opposition to any forces that are trying to turn the bow to port.  Under
power in forward gear, it's as if the rudder were less effective turning to
port & more effective turning to starboard.  If the outboard motor were
mounted on the centerline of the transom, this apparent difference in
port/starboard turning ability would dissappear.

Try this experiment in open water, because you are going to be very
surprised how fast the boat will turn to port.  With the boat moving forward
at docking speed (1-2 knots), shift into neutral, & then push the outbard
motor's tiller all the way over to port.  Now, hang onto something, warn
your passengers, put the tiller over for a port turn, shift into reverse
gear, & apply a burst of power!  Was that port turn fast enough for you?
What happened was that both the rudder force & the thrust from the motor
were directed to push the stern to starboard, which makes the bow turn to
port.  Now, that you know what the boat is capable of in terms of deg/sec
yaw rate to port under power, practice this technique until you develop
control.  Just imagine the capability this kind of port turning ability will
give you in a crowded marina &/or cross wind situation?!!

You mentioned your outboard is a little hard to get at when it's in the down
position.  Even if you leave the motor in the straight-ahead postion, apply
a little power in reverse gear, & steer with the tiller.  The reverse thrust
from the port offset motor will still assist the port turn.  Again, practice
this manuever in open water until you develop control.

Good Luck, Bob!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium