[Rhodes22-list] First Rain Storm

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Mon Aug 4 13:56:50 EDT 2003

That's my problem
No water tanks
No Battery
Plus I am using a 1.2 HP outboard that weighs nothing.
and the lazarette just has my docklines and hatch cover.
Plus the girls were hiding inside the cabin during the rain storm

Does the boat sail better with the stern loaded down?

thanks
Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> bill at effros.com 08/04/03 11:29AM >>>
Bob,

Put more weight in the stern.  Maybe a gas tank in the lazarette or something.  I keep a lot of anchors on board and move them around for trim.  If you have water and waste tanks forward reduce the amount of liquid in them.  Where are your batteries?

On newer boats with Captain's seats a lot of weight is carried far aft when sailing.

I try to keep the balance of the boat slightly aft on the mooring--just enough so that water drains off the seats.  I use the drains as a leveling tool--I wouldn't want that tell-tale water to disappear through forward holes.  Also I would be concerned about weakening the seats.

Bill Effros

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Dilk
To: R22RumRunner at aol.com ; rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] First Rain Storm

Even moving the drain holes back 6" would let out most of the water.
I like to keep it simple.
Mine is a 1976 model. Do the newer boats have a better system?

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> R22RumRunner at aol.com 08/04/03 10:45AM >>>
Steve's correct. Putting holes in the forward seat locations will allow water
to enter the cabin through the passageways under the seats. A close
inspection will show you what we mean. If you do want to install drains, it would
require the installation of a hose that would take the water down to the cockpit
floor. I haven't found a flush mount that would do the job properly.
As for the centerboard drain hole, pulling the line up slightly and locking
the ball into the cleats will open it up some. If the drain is clogged, simply
pulling the line up and down a few times should clear it.

Rummy