[Rhodes22-list] Next trip to Long Island Sound

Richard G. Smith sail.nut2 at verizon.com
Tue Aug 5 23:22:16 EDT 2003

What are the ramp fees in Manhattan?

There are no ramps in Manhattan.  The nearest one is in Liberty State
Park (public).  It's just to the West of the Statue of Liberty in New
Jersey .  From there it's a mile or so East to the Battery (tip of
Manhattan Island) where the East and Hudson Rivers converge.

There is a public ramp in Great Kills Harbor Staten Island (10 miles
from the Battery) and many others on the South Coast of Raritan Bay.

It is VITAL that you have the current table for the date.  By timing it
properly you can do about 10 kts (average) from the Battery to the
Sound!

If you just want to make the trip up the river to the Sound I would
suggest you proceed to City Island (at the very Western end of the
sound)  There you can rent a mooring, have dinner, sleep (not to much
surge)  and start back with the westward flood in the morning.

I generally start at dawn and proceed to Huntington L.I to rent a slip
or mooring in the Harbor..  This will be a 10 to 13 hour sail.

Richard Smith