[Rhodes22-list] Next trip to Long Island Sound

Bill Berner bberner at optonline.net
Wed Aug 6 00:55:12 EDT 2003

When I've made the trip upriver I don't think I've ever done more than 6.5
with the current, and that's plenty for me.

I either motor or motor sail the entire way on the East River.  Our boats
are pretty small with pretty small outboards.  I know of a bunch of people
with bigger boats and bigger engines that have gotten into trouble in the
East River by being cavalier about the currents.

Key to the trip, IMHO, is finding out the time for slack at Hell Gate, and
back time departure from there.  It's reasonably okay to have some current
flushing you towards the sound, but I prefer going for the flat water.

When planning the trip up river, I find the time for slack at Hell Gate,
calculate back towards my departure point.  I check the various current
stations between the Gate and the Battery in order to estimate their effect
on my anticipated speed at different points in the river.  IIRC (thanks
Michael!), there are current station at 61st St., 23rd, and one or two more
south of there.  Once I've figured out how long it should take me between
each current station, I write down what time I want to be at each and put
their locations into my GPS.  When I actually make the trip, I try to adjust
my speed, slowing down if necessary to hit the waypoints at the right time.
I don't want to get there either too early or too late as the window for
slack tide at Hell Gate is only about 20 minutes, and the current builds
really fast both before and after.

Maybe I'm ever doing it, but it makes me comfortable and worry free, so I
can enjoy the trip.

BB

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway