[Rhodes22-list] slides vs digital camera

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 09:42:53 EDT 2003

Roger,

No argument.  Although the Canon 1Ds (at $8,000) is said to be as well
sealed as the the 1N) which is the pro stanfard for SLR's.  Water damage is
explicitly not covered in my warranty for the D100.  There is nothing
inherently difficult about weatherproofing a digital, it just needs to be
done as the products mature.

Another way to look at the digital/film issue goes back to a systems
analysis professor I had in college.  He said, "remember, everything in life
is a low pass filter".  Every step an image goes through degrades
resolution.  Digital sharpening (using USM) can recreate the appearance of
resolution but its only creating local contrast increase.  Digital in
general requires fewer low pass steps to get an end image.

Dave Walker