[Rhodes22-list] I Hate My Trailer

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Aug 9 17:10:02 EDT 2003

Steve,

Are you exceeding the GVW rating of your old Triad trailer?  The reason I
ask is that it seems hard to believe a reputable trailer builder like Triad
would so grossly undersize the leaf springs & other components of the
trailer's suspension that they could be wiggling around & causing the high
speed instability you are experiencing as long as the trailer was not being
overloaded.

If you think you already have 10 -15% of the trailer's loaded weight on the
tongue & you are still experiencing high speed stability problems; then, you
may want to consider doing what I did with my Lil Dude tandem axle boat
trailer back in 1988.  I had an RV dealer in Russellville, AR install a
"Husky Sway Control" device made by the EAZ-Lift Spring Corp.  This device
is a "linear friction damper" with about a 12" stroke.  It installs between
a 1" OD ball mounted on a bracket on the side of tow vehicle's tow bar & a
1" OD ball mounted on a bracket welded to the side of the trailer tongue.
As the trailer yaws back & forth, the linear damper strokes in & out to damp
out the oscillations.  It makes a huge difference in high speed stability,
especially in situations like cross winds or shock waves from passing semi
trucks on the expressway.  My wife, Deb, won't drive the tow vehicle without
it in place when we are towing Dynamic Equilibrium.  The only downside is
that the anti-sway device limits the turning circle slightly.  Therefore,
you really should remove it before doing any close quarters manuvering, like
say at the launch ramp.  But, it takes less than a minute to install or
remove.  Please note that my trailer has surge brakes.  So, don't let anyone
tell you that these anti-sway devices are not compatable with surge brakes
because I've been operating this way for 15 years with many thousands of
trailering miles including plenty of mountain road driving.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium