[Rhodes22-list] CDI furler

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Aug 12 08:56:09 EDT 2003

Jim,

We have the CDI furler on Raven and have been very happy with it. It's been
very reliable, requiring no maintenance - well, almost none - I believe CDI
suggests that you rinse it with fresh water every 5 years.

We've never had a problem changing sails, but we don't do it all that
often - a couple of times a year, at most. We just got a new 135% genoa,
which we used last spring and plan to use again this fall when it's usually
more windy. We're currently using the 175% since winds tend to be lighter in
summer.

The halyard is just longer than the foil, allowing it to be tied at the base
of the furler without excess line wrapping around the drum. When you change
sails, you need to attach a messenger line to the halyard making it long
enough to lower the sail completely and raise the new sail. Once the sail's
up, you remove the messenger line and reattach the halyard to the furler.
It's pretty easy, but we haven't tried changing sails while under way, so I
can't speak to that.

Mark Kaynor