[Rhodes22-list] KY Lake in Sept.

anima anima13 at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 09:21:04 EDT 2003

Rob,
Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are the two lakes on the western KY
edge. If you look at a map they are very obvious, for KY lake is more
than 50 miles long!
There is 50 miles of coast that is not inhabited, for it is the "Land
Between
the Lakes". the government bought out the local folk under eminent domain
for $30 per acre in the late 1940's to the late 50's. Remains controversial
here.
I might once again remind you that it is DRY in these here counties, so
bring
your favorite sippin in a week's quantity plus for those who surely forget.
No matter how many times I tell people who are coming to visit, they cannot
get it that there is NO beer in the convenience stores or marinas and NO
cocktails at restuarants. HOwever, you may bring your bottle of wine, beer
or liquor to the restaurants (some upper level-types, anyway) who will
happily
bring you glasses and set-ups. You must keep it covered up so the church
folk do not see it. You MUST have insulated coverups on your beer, etc on
the boat on the lake. If you have an uncovered alcoholic beverage on the
boat
the Coast guard or TVA could hassle you or fine you, though they rarely do
so.
On the 4th, a 40ft sailboat and a 41 footer were anchored and the CG gave
them
a bad time. I was very surprised, because these two boat folks are some of
the
MOST conservative, nice and very helpful people on the lake!! thye are no
way
rowdy. I suppose there were extra coast guard out there (that volunteer
staff) who
temd to get more "in" to the job than necessary.
I might mention that the cottages at Lighthouse Landing marina are very
decent and
the cottages for two have hottubs. There are those that sleep 4 or 6.
www.lighthouselanding.com
Anne
KY Lake