[Rhodes22-list] Mystery of the slow leak in bilge solved

Ron Finelli ronfinelli at att.net
Tue Aug 19 23:51:21 EDT 2003

You can order a centerboard gasket & hardware from Stan at GB.

Take boat out of the water.  Remove all centerboard screws.  Remove old
gasket & clean surface.

In older R22's (my is an '86) had a couple of plastic pieces that helped
center the centerboard when it was up.  (These were located in both port &
starboard sides of centerboard trunk close to the top toward the aft end).
Mine had broken & only screws were left.  One of the screws was leaking.  I
removed both & epoxied holes closed.

While you have things apart - replace centerboard line & tube.

Put new gasket in place (you do not need gasket sealer).  Drill holes
through gasket & centerboard trunk in location where old screws were.

Install bolts & nuts - do not over tighten.

Ron Finelli
S/V Kate Doyle
Eden Prairie, MN