[Rhodes22-list] Mystery of the slow leak in bilge solved

LafingBear at aol.com LafingBear at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 01:03:15 EDT 2003

Hey Folks!  I've had a slow leak in the bilge for the last three weeks. I
checked everything and tightened every screw I could reach. This weekend I
sponged the bilge dry ,but  after sailing for four hours in some very choppy waves,
part wind driven, part motorboat wake, I found about four inches of water in
the bilge. There's a slow leak coming from under the lip of the cover on the
centerboard trunk. I tightened all of the screws I could reach, but two of them
are striped on the top and one of them isn't gripping the fiberglass, just
turning but not getting tighter. What can I do to stop the leak? Can I stop the
leak without taking the boat out of the water? Any and all suggestions are most
welcome.
Jim Gifford