[Rhodes22-list] trailering

NAPOLI51950 at aol.com NAPOLI51950 at aol.com
Wed Aug 20 22:59:53 EDT 2003

I am a bit confused with the "chain Problem" affecting the surge brakes.  I
crossed them over each other to prevent the tongue from dropping to the
pavement and they hange about 4-5 inches from the road when traveling.  The
compression stroke is fairly short, maybe 4 inches.  The only problem was when I was
putting the trailer and boat onto the RV pad which has a fairly steep incline up
to it.  As I was maneuvering the breaks would lock up ocasionally but only
briefly.

During the actual trip there were no problems.  I would tap the breaks a bit
more abruptly to acuate the trailer breaks and then apply steady pressure.  I
seldom needed to break more than once every 1/2 mile so on a 6% downgrade
because the wind resistance seem to keep the speed down below 60mph most of the
time and the truck was in either 4th or 3rd gear (I have a manual transmission
obviously).

Hope this answers your questions.

Chris