[Rhodes22-list] Push button start ????

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 09:14:19 EDT 2003

As usual we spent the weekend on the boat. My 6 HP 2 stroke Merc decided to
act up a little. When I arrived at the marina I started the motor with the
push button start and it almost fired up. I tried the second time (usually
starts first or second) and nothing happened. No click, nothing! The battery
is fully charged. The pull start fired the motor up and it worked fine.

Later that day we anchored in a cove and I decided to figure out what the
problem is. It appears the push button itself is working. The switch opens
and closes and sends power to solenoid. The solenoid is putting out to the
starter but nothing happens. I placed a screw driver across the solenoid
leads and nothing happens. I  thought this would fire up the starter motor
but nothing. My battery died on my multi meter and I couldn't trouble shoot
any further so I had to start drinking. :-)

I don't have a manual or any schematics for my motor but I am going to try
and download or order something today. Any guesses? I was thinking starter
but I will look closer once I get some documentation. I do have some
Outboard repairs books to use as a basic reference. ....

Wally