[Rhodes22-list] Beating

Steve rhodes2282 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 13:40:15 EST 2003

Let say you have standard mast, a decent set of sail -
175% genny and a main with partial battens.

Say 15mph wind

Mast bend is needed based on the cut of the main.
Backstays tension is helpful here but factor in how
you have your strouds adjusted.  You want the roach of
the main at least 50% but if you can get it in the
forward 45%, that better.  Boom center & play the
travaler on the puffs.  Halyard tension, cunnuinham
tension with no wrinkels in the luff.  Leace line
tension so that no flapping is occuring at the top of
the main.  Mainsheet tension.

Genny - halyard tight, sheet tight, sheet cars set to
optimise wind - if you must spill the wind - spill it
at the top.  Roach needs to be at least in the forward
40% but try for 30%.  You want the headsail tight in
all aspects.

Make sure that the centerboard is down.  Rudder is ALL
the WAY down.  Don't have to much weight in the
V-berth.  This should get you into the wind.
Steve

PS-- I think I am talking to myself:-)